Colours: Yellow and blue
Territory: Viale Cavour (even side) up to the Corso Isonzo (odd side), Via Darsena (from Corso Isonzo to Viale IV Novembre), Via Arginone, walls of Porta Po up to Via Canapa, Viale Po up to the railway underpass, Via Modena (odd side) up to the bridge over the Boicelli’s canal, Mizzana, Cassana and Porotto up to the borders of the Ferrara’s Commune
Seat: Via Ortigara, 14 - Phone: 0532/202931
President: Alessandro Feggi
During the Middle Ages the territory of San Giacomo was called “Quartiere Alto”, a part of the city rich of architectonic works, that turned around Castel Tedaldo. Everything was erased by the first town planning act of the Governo Pontificio after the assignation of the dukedom in 1598. The construction of the fortress was possible just after the abolition of all the works in the zone, in addition to the incorporation of the river isle of Belvedere, where rose a “Delizia Estense”. But also the fortress was destructed in the half of IX century when the papal legates left Ferrara; this area was urbanized only during the XX century.
The village includes, besides, a wide peripheral zone of which also Mizzana is part. This last is an ancient village that began from the San Gabriele’s monastery on the north, near the gardens of Castellina and went on towards west; inside of this area there were San Matteo dei Crociferi’s Church and a lazaretto for reckless people.
The symbol of this Contrada is a white eagle drew over a background coloured with yellow and blue; this was also the original Este’s family’s coat of arms.